Monday, December 17, 2007

Winchuck Carrot Cake Recipe Best of the West




My Carrot Cake Recipe For You
Happy Holidays
Winchuck River Store
Winchuck Carrot Cake
Serves Approximately 50


This cake never fails to please the crowd



12 eggs
3 1/2 cups vegetable oil
6 cups sugar
6 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 cups of flour
6 teaspoons baking powder
6 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 teaspoons ground cinnamon
9 cups grated carrots
3 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
3 cups of crushed or pineapple tid bits



Frosting:
1 1/2 cup butter, softened
24 ounces cream cheese, softened
12 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour three 9x13 inch pans or use a large commercial pan.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and vanilla.

Sift together the dry ingredient - when I have chosen not to sift, I find the baking soda doesn't always blend in. There is nothing worse than finding a lump of baking soda!

Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon to the eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla.

Fold in carrots

Fold in nuts and pour into pans.

Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes or more then turn out if desired onto a wire rack and cool completely cool. Since I use a very large pan, I bake it a bit longer and if I remove the cake from the pan, it is frosted and cut into pieces. I usually make this recipe for serving a crowd. The crowd loves the cake still in the pan!

I have made a wedding cake from this recipe and removed the cakes from their pans to stack in three graduated layers. I covered the frosting with eatible flowers or you could make your flowers from cake-decorating frosting.

To make frosting:

In a bowl combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy. Frost the cake and sprinkle chopped nuts on top.

I do not usually make the full recipe for the frosting as I find only about 1/2 of the above ingredients covers the commercial baking pan that I use. My pan measures 13 x 21.5 x 2.5 deep. I am not so careful with measurements. This cake is very forgiving when it comes to pineapple, carrots, nuts and frosting used.

I grate my carrots using a food processor; which makes the process so much easier than a hand grater! No more grated knuckles! For my Christmas in October Open House I used whipped cream cheese for the frosting. It made the frosting go together easier than using the boxed cream cheese.
I have also successfully increased the ingredients to make a larger amount to the commercial pan plus a 18 x 11 x 2.5 deep pan.
To increase the recipe, divide the ingredients by 3 and increase adding 1/3 of the recipe.
I could also see increasing the flour to make a cookie recipe. If any of you try this, let me know how it works out!


This is my Holiday Gift to You!

Enjoy!

Everyone will tell you that this is the best carrot cake they have ever eaten!



No comments:

We Welcome You to Our Blog!



We blog about our rural area in the Pacific Northwest . This blog is all about my life and the places where my mind wonders from day to day. Have fun reading and looking at pictures. We welcome comments.

Be sure to watch, just above this blurb, my husband, Jim, using his 10 foot hands-free electric fishing kayak

Plurk

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Subscribe
Enter your email address to receive notifications when there are new posts
Powered by BLOG ALERT

BlogCatalog

Blog Hints

Electric Powered Hands-Free Fishing Kayak

Be sure to check out the separate blog to find out about our electric kayak, Kingfisher 10! You can find the blog at http://electrickayakkingfisher-10.blogspot.com . You can also read the features list on this kayak and purchase building plans and building kits at www.winchuckriverstore.com .

About Me

My photo
We moved to our current home on the Wild River Coast of Southern Oregon from San Jose, CA. Our family consist of Jim and Karen, two dogs and two cats. Karen's passion is gardening. Jim's obsession is building electric powered fishing kayaks and fishing.